Sunday, July 6, 2008

Day 6 cork



Arrived cork late afternoon.... current location N51 54.151 W008.27.955 distance to date on cycle speedo 263.13 miles. Weather wise extremely strange day- at one point I was cycling in the sun and rain almost at the same time ! At one point it was a case of two hours of coat on cycle 5 mins - coat off cycle 5 mins coat on etc. Tried to find my notes of everyones [in ireland] emails and telephone numbers but rain had managed to seep through bike pannier and plastic cover and all the ink smudged. I seem to be picking up an addiction for polish yogurts - every big town in ireland seems to have a polish shop and everything is Polish -thus i cant readand understand any of the labels - still the yoghurts are great. I was hoping to up the miles - curent average about 80km (50miles) a day but bike still feels heavy and many of the routes undulating and my legs are suffering at the moment - muscle cramps in thighs and pain in the right knee also had a bout of the saddles today -I wonder if I could try something else next year perhaps people would sponsor me to sit on the beach and sunbath and do a bit of spearfishing ...Hostel people have an interesting subculture ...I asked a couple yesterday if they watched tennis and knew result of womens wimbeldon final ...I received a look of stone faced incredulality...I think they were amazed to meet someone in a hostel who watched sport on TV or even TV for that matter ! ...I think I will save any conversations about sport or TV for the pub only ...I went to Jamesons distillary today - had a hot chocolate in the cafe and it was nice to take a break from the rain ...A pity my little brother was not able to join me on this cycle trip as he is the fit one and could have pulled me along up the hills...still maybe another time ....

No comments: